Dec 2011
How To: Shred Chicken

I debated whether or not to even post this, as it is not a recipe, nor is there really much instruction to this post. However, it is such a genius idea, I couldn’t NOT share it with y’all.

I used to dread shredding chicken, and it would take me forever to shred the chicken with two forks. Not now! You can easily shred chicken by throwing it in the bowl of your KitchenAid mixer, turning it to medium speed and let it do its thing. In only 30 seconds, you have perfectly shredded chicken to use in your favorite dips or dishes. As if I needed another reason to love my KitchenAid mixer…;)

Directions:
Cook your chicken as desired. Place the hot chicken into the bowl of your mixer. (Be sure that your chicken is warm, cold chicken is hard to shred). Using the paddle attachment, mix the chicken on medium speed for 20-30 seconds, until the chicken is shredded to your liking. Use as desired in your favorite recipe.

Source: Chef Talk

Print Friendly

This entry was posted in Chicken, How To. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to How To: Shred Chicken

1. jessy says:

FREAKING.GENIUS.
    I love this idea. I hate shredding chicken but I love the texture in dishes! Thanks so much for sharing.

2. Alida says:

Oh that’s interesting! My mom makes several dishes around the holidays where she shredds chicken…by hand. She always complains about the time it takes, so I am going to pass this tip along to her. Thanks so much!

3. maeghan says:

Love it! Wish I had known this last weekend when I was shredding chicken!

4. Melissa says:

That IS genius! I hate shredding chicken! Now, someone needs to tell me a quick way to get roasted chicken off the bone :)

5. Etta says:

What a great idea! I generally cook my chicken in the crock pot so it shreds easily, but I’m definitely going to have to try this way.

6. Awesome! Thanks for sharing this helpful tip.

7. Nicole, RD says:

Um, brilliant! I hate, hate, hate shredding chicken!

8. Joanne says:

This is so intelligent. I’ve never seen this before! Can’t wait to try.

9. Stephanie says:

Gen.ius. How have I not seen this?!?! I’m SO glad you decided to share this because I too dread shredding chicken. I will DEFINITELY be using this method in the future! AND I’m going to go ahead and repin this on Pinterest to share with my friends!

10. Pingback: Chicken Tortilla Soup

11. Pingback: Money Matters: Chicken Tortilla Soup (+ the quickiest, most amazing chicken shredding tip!) | Prevention RD

12. Stacy says:

we use our Cuisinart and get smaller (tiny) bits – I’ll have to give this a try!

13. Pingback: Shredding Chicken «

14. Gretchen says:

It worked beautifully. Thank you!!

15. Steve Shaw says:

Dear Mr. President, please immediately create a new national holiday for the individual who came up with this idea. Allow me to beat my head against the wall for the next month thinking of the hours and hours of pulling chicken apart with forks until my hands were in pain. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I read it, immediately drove home and stole my mom’s Kitchenaid mixer, boiled 6 boneless breasts, fileted them and shredded them in under a minute! PERFECT!!!!!!!

16. Sarah says:

I don’t have a kitchen aid so I used my hand mixer. Best idea EVER!!!! Thanks :)

17. Todd says:

Also works very well the Ninja dough blade.
    Thanks great tip!

18. Pingback: Mike’s Shredded Chicken (GF, DF). | It's Working for Me.

19. Just tried it…can’t wait to make MANY more recipes with shredded chicken. You’re AWESOME…thanks for sharing. Have you tried it for pork?

20. Stephanie says:

Thanks! This is a great idea!

21. Emily says:

Doesn’t get much easier than that!!! Thank you, this is truly brilliant!!

22. Andrea L says:

this worked great for me! My chicken was leftover grilled chicken from the day before, so I microwaved it for a minute since it was cold before I putted it in the mixer. Thanks for the tip about it working better when the chicken is hot.
    I am so using this method to shred my chicken from now on! thanks :)

23. Dawn F says:

AWESOME!!!!! Wow, the genius of this is incredible!! thank you for taking the time to share this fan-tabulous idea!!

24. Pingback: Friday Finds: Shredding Chicken With a Mixer | Confections of a Foodie Bride

25. Pingback: Blogger Spotlight: Stick a Fork In It - The Aliso Kitchen | The Aliso Kitchen

26. Thank you..Thank you.. Thank you..!!!! This tip is just so amazingly awesome!! I agree when you say it changed your life :) :)

27. Pingback: Buffalo Chicken Dip

28. Connie says:

Don’t apologize for THIS post…you have made many chicken-shredders very happy! Can’t wait to try it! Chicken Enchilada Casserole anyone?

29. Cate says:

Genius! Thank you so much!