Pizza Pull-Apart Bread

Pizza is one of our favorite meals to make on the weekend. If you always have frozen pizza dough on hand like I do, it requires minimal prep work, and can easily be doctored with your favorite toppings to create something different every week. This weekend I wanted to try something different, so I decided to make a pizza version of the ever popular pull-apart bread. Serve it with extra pizza sauce, and it’s perfect as an appetizer, or as a casual dinner for two alongside a nice glass bottle of wine. Perfect for unwinding after a busy week!

Pizza Pull-Apart Bread

Yield: 4-5 servings

Ingredients

• 1/2 batch pizza dough, homemade or store-bought
  • 1/2 cup pizza sauce
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 cup sliced pepperoni
  • Additional toppings of your choice

Directions

1. On a floured surface, roll your pizza dough out into a large rectangle. Top with sauce, cheese and pepperoni. Using a pizza cutter or a very sharp knife, cut the dough into long strips, then into squares, so you end up with about 20 squares. Stack the squares onto of each other, and stack into a greased loaf pan. (For pictures of this technique, check out how I did it with this cinnamon pull-apart bread). Cover the pan with plastic wrap and allow to raise for 30 minutes.
  2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Baked for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown. Allow to pizza to rest for 10 minutes before turning onto a serving platter. Serve with additional pizza sauce, if desired.

Source: Stick a Fork In It original recipe.

Print Friendly

Comments

1. HanaS says

Thank you for your inspiration. I will definitely try it since that looks great.
    I was just wondering whether the store-bought pizza dough would also need the time to rise under the plastic wrap.
    PS. Off to refer to the cinnamon pull-apart bread :)

• says

Depending on what type of dough you use, it might need a little time to raise. At least bring it to room temperature before working with it, it will make rolling out the dough much easier. And yes, it should raise a little after you cut and assemble the bread. Enjoy! :)

• HanaS says

Thank you for your reply. Luckily, we have already pre-rolled doughs available in shops so I don´t need to do this step :) However, I will give it some time to raise anyways. Thank you again.

2. June says

tried making this with gluten free pizza dough. outside was good, inside and middle was raw. When I make pizza crust, I need to precook it. So would parbaking have made a difference?

• says

It might help, I’ve never used gluten free dough so Im not sure if that made a difference or not? You might need to turn the oven up a little more next time.

3. Dawn says

Is there a particular pizza sauce (or pizza sauce recipe) you recommend? I’ve never done anything pizza-like before so I figured I should ask before I make a huge mess of things in my kitchen, haha.

4. Athena Shewbert says

I saw a pregnant lady make this on Rachael Ray the other day…a special on game day snacks. Maybe that was you or she is a fan. Looks delicious and actually pretty easy. One might end up eating a whole pizza this way and not even know it.

• says

You could try that, you might need a cans of it though. My grocery store sells balls of pizza dough in the deli section, or sometimes you can buy balls of dough from local pizza shops.

5. Anastacia says

I made two of these last night for the super bowl it was a huge hit everyone loved it!!! I am hosting one of my best friends baby showers at the end of the month and she loved loved loved this dish so I will be making at least four loafs for her baby shower thank you for sharing this recipe!

6. Tracey Johnson says

I made this last week and my family LOVED it! However, it didn’t cook evenly. The outside was perfect but the inside was very doughy. I want to try again tonight, any suggestions? Should I cover it with foil for the first 10 minutes? Cook at 425?

7. Anna says

When you say ‘1/2 batch pizza dough’, is that going by your quantities for the dough? So I should half the amounts on your pizza dough recipe and make enough for 1 medium sized pizza? I just wanna make sure I make the right amount of dough. Thanks! I can’t wait to make this, it looks so good :)

8. Harri says

Tried this today with the bf, however we missed the bit about using half the dough so it’s safe to say we had a lot of pizza to eat 😛 As others have said, the Middle was still uncooked after the twenty mins, we but it back in for another 15 and it turned out perfect :)

Thanks for the recipe!