I work a lot of night shifts, and sometimes when I have some down time between patients, I can get a little blogging done. However, in my sleep-deprived zombie state of mind at 3:00am when I was writing this post, I realized I just posted the recipe, and didn’t actually write anything about the recipe. Reason #13192 why you shouldn’t blog in the middle of the night.
Nevertheless, these grasshopper brownies are delicious, and perfect for a St. Patty’s Day treat. I brought these into work on a very busy, stressful night, and they turned out the perfect thing to keep our spirits up. I cheated a little and used a boxed brownie mix for the bottom, but if you have a favorite homemade recipe, have at it. The filling is a minty buttercream, and its topped with a layer of chocolate. So even if you’re not big into the drinking aspect of St. Patty’s Day, use it as an excuse to make some festive brownies.
Grasshopper Mint Brownie Bars
For the brownies:
- 1 family size brownie mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 large eggs
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- green food coloring (optional)
For the frosting:
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cover the bottom of a 13x9 inch pan with cooking spray, then line with parchment paper and extend the paper over the sides of the pan. (This way, you can easily lift out the whole pan of brownies). Combine all the ingredients together in one bowl, stir until smooth. Spread into the prepared pan, and bake for 28-32 minutes or until done. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat together the 1/2 cup butter and cream cheese together in a medium bowl until light and fluffy. Add the remaining ingredients. Spread evenly over the cooled brownies.
- Place the frosting ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds, stir, then microwave again for 10-15 seconds as needed until the chocolate is melted. Stir until smooth. Pour evenly over the filling, and gently spread to cover the filling.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting into bars. Store in the refrigerator.