With Labor Day behind us, fall is just around the corner. Time to bring on the mums, pumpkin flavored baked goods, cinnamon scented candles and of course, football! The season officially kicked off last night, however our first home game for the Buffalo Bills is this Sunday. My husband and I have season tickets, so we spend a lot of Sundays in the fall grilling hot dogs in a parking lot, playing corn hole, drinking beer and freezing our butts off while we watch football. Even though our team usually loses more than we win, we still have a blast going to games.
So in honor of the kickoff to football season, I threw together some football cupcakes. These cupcakes may look complicated, but they are actually very simple to make. You’ll need a 2 pastry bags, one fitted with a star tip, and one fitted with a small round tip. (I used a Wilton #2.) Use your favorite cupcakes recipe, but if you need a good chocolate frosting recipe, I’ve included my favorite. Since you only need a small amount of vanilla frosting, I set aside a small amount of frosting before adding the cocoa, so I don’t have to make 2 separate batches.
Looking for a new dip or appetizer to take to the game this weekend? Check out my football food tab.
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks or ½ pound), softened
- 3½ cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- Cream the butter for a few minutes in a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar to the butter, and continue to mix on low, alternating the powdered sugar with the cream/milk.
- Add the vanilla extract and salt, then beat for 3 minutes on high speed, until well mixed.
- Separate about 1 cup of the buttercream and set aside. This will be your white frosting for the laces.
- Gradually add the cocoa powder to the remaining buttercream, and mix until well incorporated, adding a little more milk/cream if needed.
- Add the chocolate frosting to a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Add the vanilla frosting to a bag fitted with a small round tip.
- Using a steady hand, start at one end of the cupcake and gently squeeze the frosting back and forth, going wider in the middle and narrower at the ends to mimic a football shape.
- Use the vanilla frosting to draw laces on the football.