Summertime means barbeques, and what BBQ is complete without pasta salad? This version is a little more amped up than your usual pasta salad. Add in some kielbasa, BBQ sauce and hot sauce, and you have a spicy, tangy version that will knock your flip-flops off. I made this for my husband to take to his annual guys weekend, and apparently it was a hit. According to my husband, guys that normally hate pasta salad were inhaling this. (Yes, I let my husband go away for a guys weekend with a 1 month old at home. I’m still waiting for my “wife of the year” trophy.)
My favorite thing about it is that you can make it a day or two ahead of time, and keep it in the fridge. Perfect to make ahead of time before a big party or picnic. We’ll definitely be seeing more of this pasta salad this summer.
Looking for a more traditional pasta salad? Check out my tri-color pasta salad.
- 8-12 ounces turkey kielbasa, diced
- 1 pound macaroni, any shape
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of canola oil over medium heat, than add the chopped kielbasa and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Line a plate with paper towels, then transfer the kielbasa to the plate and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil, then cook the macaroni until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain the pasta then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the kielbasa, bell pepper, celery, green onion, vinegar, hot sauce, chili powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper to the macaroni and stir to combine, Add in the mayonnaise and barbecue sauce, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to two days.
Source: Mel’s Kitchen Cafe