Today is my 3rd wedding anniversary, and what a crazy three years its been. My husband finished grad school, we opened his business, bought a house, got a cat, got a dog, and topped it off with the highest of highs with the birth of our daughter in April. Like every marriage, we’ve had our ups and downs, but I love the life that we’re creating and can’t imagine a better guy by my side to walk through this life with. I am so blessed!
My husband also serves as my #1 taste-tester, and thinking back over the 9 years that we’ve been together, he has tasted quite a few of my “creations”, including quite a few failures. Thankfully he is not a picky eater and usually willing to try anything. This chicken dish was a hit in our household. It was quick and simple to make, yet was flavorful and delicious. You simply make a quick marinade, and can either marinate the chicken in it for a few hours, or simply pour over the chicken while you cook. I didn’t marinate it ahead of time, and the chicken still had great flavor. The recipe calls for bone-in chicken thighs and legs, but you can use breasts if you prefer, just reduce to the cooking time from 60 minutes to 40 minutes.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 whole lemons, one juiced and one sliced
- 2 whole oranges, one juiced and one sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 10-12 pieces (about 4½ lbs.) bone-in chicken parts
- 1 medium onion (any kind), thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, or fresh chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary, or fresh chopped
- Chopped fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, parsley), for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl combine the olive oil, garlic, sugar, lemon juice, orange juice, Italian seasoning, paprika, onion powder, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken in a rimmed 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, skin side up. Pour the olive oil mixture over the chicken, then arrange slices of lemon, orange and onion around and under the chicken. Sprinkle with thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour, or until chicken is cooked and juices run clear. (If using breasts, cook for 40 minutes or so.) Remove parts to a serving platter and garnish with additional chopped fresh herbs, if desired.
Source: Comfort of Cooking