Hope y’all had a lovely Valentine’s Day weekend. We had yet another snowstorm here, so I made it a point to try and not leave the house all weekend. We had a great low key Valentine’s day – a heart shaped homemade pizza, deep dish cookie sundaes, and snuggled with our pets on the couch while we watched Bridesmaids. For probably the 10th time. That movie just never gets old.
If you are still in a chocolate and wine induced coma from the weekend and are looking for a quick and easy weeknight meal, this would be perfect. It’s a one-pot meal, no boiling water or draining pasta necessary, it cooks right in the sauce. The cream and cheeses make this pasta super rich and creamy, while the sausage adds a nice spicy kick. From stove-top to table in 30 minutes or less, with only one pan to wash. That is my kind of Monday meal.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb turkey sausage, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1-14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1-14.5 ounce can tomato puree
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 lb spiral pasta
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper, each
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- In an oven-safe skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the sausage and onions and cook until they are lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato puree, cream, pasta, salt and pepper and stir. Bring to a boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in half of the mozzarella and half of the parmesan cheese. Top with the remaining cheeses and parsley, then broil in the oven under high heat until the cheese is melted, bubbly and lightly browned.
Source: Adapted from Kevin and Amanda